Gastric sleeve operation is the most demanded and most common bariatric surgery operation among obesity surgery alternatives. This intervention is applied with laparoscopic methods and some part of the stomach is removed. Remaining part of the stomach is shaped like a tube. This operation will lead the patient to feel full of smaller portions and to have healthier lifestyle.
This operation is known as sleeve gastrectomy and it can be applied to patients with BMI over 36, without systemic or bodily weight problems, patients with diabetes, hypertension, cholesterol, sleep acne as well as obesity and who cannot lose weight with long-term diet and exercise programs. Sleeve gastrectomy in Turkey is applied to patients between 15-65 years old.
Benefits of sleeve gastrectomy risky
Incorrect eating habits, immobility, excessive food consumption, tendency to gain weight due to genetic factors or excessive fat accumulation will bring other problems. With sleeve gastrectomy, food consumption is limited by reducing stomach volume so that the patient can reach ideal weight. As hunger hormone segregating part of the stomach is removed, feeling of hunger is limited and eating needs are kept within normal limits.
Main purpose of sleeve gastrectomy in Turkey is to prevent health problems such as diabetes, hypertension, rheumatism, heart and coronary diseases. Patients who reach their ideal weight after sleeve gastrectomy have increased life quality and have healthier life.
How is sleeve gastrectomy in Turkey applied
Sleeve gastrectomy operations are conducted with laparoscopic methods. Patients are operated under general anaesthesia. Without cutting stomach walls, 6 small holes are opened around stomach. By using these holes, “ghrelin” producing section of the stomach is removed. Ghrelin is a peptide protein consisting of 28 amino acids and produced by fundus cells. Ghrelin has strong appetizer effect. Therefore, it can be said that it controls sense of hunger.
By using special equipment, 80% of the stomach is removed and remaining part is shaped into a tube with 150-200 cc volume. During suturing, remaining part of the stomach is filled with special fluid to check any leakage.
Is sleeve gastrectomy risky?
Risk rate in international data for sleeve gastrectomy shows 0.2-0.4%. (This risk rate is same as any other operation.) Risks can be minimised with doctor’s experience, staff expertise, quality of operation equipment and correct usage. Therefore, as in all other surgical operations, doctor selection is extremely important in bariatric surgery.
To prevent anaesthesia and operation related risks, patients should avoid alcohol consumption 15 days and smoking at least 1 week before the operation. Patients should stop food and liquid consumption one night before the operation starting from midnight 00:00. (This time can change depending on surgery time.) If patient is using regular medication due to chronical diseases, few drops of water is permitted to take these medications.
Things to be considered after sleeve gastrectomy operation
- After gastric sleeve operation, first month is clear fluid period; 2nd and 3rd month are puree period; 4th to 6th month are solid food period. After the operation, diet program recommended by the doctor must be followed.
- When puree food starts after the operation, solid and liquid should not be consumed simultaneously; at least 30 minutes should be given between solid and liquid.
- Patients must consume 1.5 litre water per day.
- After completing 4th week in normal food period, patients should avoid consuming more than 4 portions per day. (3 main course + 1 protein rich course)
- In each meal, low calorie and high protein content food must be preferred.
- If patient vomits after consuming solid foods, patient should consume liquid for 12-24 hours.
- After the operation, alcohol consumption is prohibited until approved by the doctor.
- Acidic and fizzy drinks are not recommended as these drinks could cause stomach pain and dyspepsia.
- Grains (pasta, rice, biscuit), legume, spice and acidic food (lemon, orange) should not be consumer for at least 3 months.
- Hard red meat should not be consumed for 1 year after the surgery.
- Heavy and excessive physical activity should be avoided for 2 months after the operation.
- It is recommended to avoid driving for 2 months.
- If you have physically demanding job, you need to wait for at least 2 weeks before going back to your work.
- Patients must avoid sexual intercourse for 2 weeks after the operation.
- For women, pregnancy is not advised for the following 2 years. (There is no medical problem for getting pregnant before 2 years. However, vitamin and mineral deficiencies that are common during pregnancy are undesired after this operation.)